Starting Monday, June 10, drivers should expect single-lane and shoulder closure between the southbound Eagle River Bridge and Hiland Road through July 2019. Two lanes will remain open at all times.
Project No. Z591210000
Glenn Highway: Hiland to Artillery Capacity Improvements
The Glenn Highway serves more than 50,000 drivers per day. During peak hours, the Glenn Highway can become congested with traffic, resulting in delays and driver frustration. The Glenn Highway is the only road connection between Anchorage and the Matanuska-Susitna (Mat-Su) Valley.
Updated Glenn Highway Capacity Improvement Video: This video includes a project overview of both Phase 1 and Phase 2, and an update of Phase 2 construction including future detour plans.
The Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities (DOT&PF) completed Phase I (northbound) of the Glenn Highway: Hiland to Artillery Capacity Improvements project—a State-funded project—in 2015. Phase I included:
- Adding a northbound lane to the Glenn Highway between the Hiland Drive and Artillery Road interchanges. The project will allow for a possible future high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane.
- Realigning the Glenn Highway to reduce the steep, downhill, northbound highway grade approaching the Eagle River Bridge (sometimes referred to as “Brake Light Hill”).
- Constructing a new northbound bridge over Eagle River to accommodate the additional lane.
- Constructing a two-way frontage road east of the mainline from the Hiland Drive interchange to the Artillery Road interchange.
- Eliminating the recurrent highway glaciation/icing problem on the Glenn Highway, south of the river.
Following completion of Phase I of the project, Phase II (southbound) was put on hold due to funding constraints. Funding is now in place, so DOT&PF has contracted Phase II work. This phase of the project will include:
- Adding a southbound lane to the Glenn Highway between the Artillery Road and Hiland Drive interchanges. The project will allow for a possible future HOV lane.
- Realigning the Glenn Highway to reduce the southbound highway grade south of the Eagle River Bridge.
- Constructing a new southbound bridge over Eagle River to accommodate the additional lane.
- Constructing a frontage road west of the mainline from the Artillery Road interchange to the Hiland Drive interchange. This west side frontage road will be two way from Artillery Road to the Eagle River Bridge and one way from the Eagle River Bridge to the Hiland Road interchange.
Learn more about the project by selecting various project pages at the top of this site.